Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Boom... and so the dal flew..

Well, it was not exactly a loud, ear-drum bursting boom, but was a suprise for sure. And a surprise that I neither asked for, nor was called for. 8 something in the evening and I was all worked up about making dal. Asked my pal Manish if he would help me prepare dal using his out-of-this-world receipe. He agreed and I was on my way.

Put dal into the cooker and then the cooker on the gas, and started to cut onions, tomatoes and chilli. 2 whistles, Manish said. I turned the gas off after 2 whistles. Took another 5 odd minutes to finish the cutting.

Gave a call to Manish and he came to help me continue. He came to the kitchen and opened the cooker.

BOOM! The DAL exploded... did not understand what really happened!!! First thing i asked was whether Manish was burnt with the hot dal. Luckily, he did not go face first into the dal, like how yours truly would have done, so he was not doing bad. Just that the hot dal left some minor bruises on him and me. I hardly had a burn, but was acting as if I almost lost my life in that accident!!!

The kitchen was smashed. Dal was all over the place. Microwave, stove, cabinets, vessels.. you name anything in the kitchen and it had Dal over it.

So an unscheduled kitchen cleaning started. Manish and I got to work. Poor chap, he was only supposed to have guided me, but ended up cleaning the mess and even making the dal.

All cleaning done, he made a delicious dinner for us. All's well that ends well in the stomach!!

Thank God, the BOOM did not injure anyone.

No comments: